How to convert number to words in Excel


In this example let us learn to build excel template to convert a three digit number to words. Consider a three digit number say 256 in cell B1. We need to get "Two Hundred and Fifty Six" in cell C1.

First create two separate table as shown below in sheet 2 of the workbook. Values have to be entered manually for the first time.









Now get 1st, 10th and 100th digits  in cells I1, I2 and I3 respectively using RIGHT function. Now divide each number by their digit of significance and take only integer portion of it using INT function. i.e.
                        J1 = INT(I1/H1) = 6
                        J2 = INT(I2/H2) = 5
                        J3 = INT(I3/H3) = 2

       



Now do a VLOOKUP of values in cell J1, J2 and J3 in Table1 and Table2 created in STEP1 shown in picture below.





Now, in cell L1 enter the formula "=CONCATENATE(K3,K2,K1)" to get the number in to words.



Now select cell C1 in  Sheet1 of the workbook and enter ="Sheet2!L1". Now  "Two Hundred and Fifty Six" appear in cell C1.










Share:

0 comments:

Post a Comment